The first reference to this site is found in municipality documents. In a will that dates to 1020, Bernat Tallaferro, Count of Besalú, gave his son Berenguer his possessions “within the boundaries of Villa Palaciol”. This small town consists of the remains of the pre-Romanesque church of Sant Miquel, the ruins of the medieval castle from the 11th-12th centuries, and the Mas de Palol, located to the east of the village of Vilafant. Sant Miquel features the characteristics of pre-Romanesque buildings from the 9th and 10th centuries, which means the parish could date back even earlier. In 1167, Guillem, bishop of Girona, donated the Church of Santa Llogaia d'Àlguema and the castle’s suffragan diocese to the Santa Maria de Ripoll monastery. This is the first written mention of the fortification and the church of Sant Miquel.
Camí De La Paua, 17740 Vilafant, Provincia de Gerona, España
Leave a Reply ·