The fortified enclosure dates back to the 13th and 14th centuries. It has a roughly triangular-shaped floor plan. One of the portals was located at the western apex of the enclosure, where the south and north façades join: the upper portal. Another door, the lower portal, opened on the northeast corner. These two portals were the main entrances to the town, on the road that crosses it from east to west. A few vestiges of the walls are preserved, in particular the towers: two are semicircular with the oldest being about ten-metres high. The other, very poorly preserved one, was probably part of the castle and closed the western apex. Six square towers also remain in various states of preservation, as well as a circular one known as the Farlingo Tower.
Photograph by Josep Maria Cañellas, taken in 1888, which shows a general view of the village of Sant Llorenç de la Muga where the church bell tower stands out above everything else. One of the most remarkable features of the village are its walls. The walled enclosure is still preserved and in this photograph, from the Rubaudonadeu Collection of the Fages de Climent Library in Figueres, some of the towers and turrets can be seen. An image from the end of the 19th century which is interesting because of the context it provides. At that time, part of the wall also formed part of the walls of the houses in the old town. Additionally, it is noteworthy that between the walls and the river Muga, there are some orchard groves and small fields.
Carrer Del Barri 2, 17732 San Lorenzo de la Muga, Provincia de Gerona, España