It must have been part of the town’s defences, as there is a similar tower on the other side of the village. The town’s fortifications can be clearly seen in a Beaulieu engraving from 1640, and the tower is assumed to be a more recent addition. It was likely built during the War of the Spanish Succession (1640-1659), during which it played a prominent role. It was later used as an element of defence in other wars or simply to control the border crossing until the 19th century. It was last used for defensive purposes during several battles during the Carlist War, which also gave the tower its current name. It was burned and abandoned in the 20th century.