The Cistercian order was created in 1098. The female monastic house of Sant Feliu de Cadins was documented in 1169, in a papal bull from Alexander III that converted the church into an abbey and head of the order in Catalonia. The Cadins monastery became the main monastery of the order in Valldemaria. In 1492, the Bernardine nuns moved from Cadins to the Mercadal convent in Girona, which no longer exists. Despite leaving Cadins, the nuns maintained direct control of all their assets in the area until their disentailment in 1836. As for the monastery, the abbey outbuildings were sold in 1517 and the cemetery was buried under a series of floods. The church, then, is the only remaining vestige of the complex. The church currently serves as a barn for the Mas de Sant Feliu. The ensemble is the most notable example of Cistercian architecture in the region, with a similar style found in Santes Creus and Poblet.
Camí De Sant Feliu, 17761 Cabanas, Provincia de Gerona, España