The parish church of Agullana is the most spectacular example in terms of the dimensions of the churches between La Jonquera and Albanyà (J. Badia). The first record of this church appears in 1019 in the Llibre Verd (Green Book) of the Cathedral of Girona, in which Bishop Rotger donated the Ecclesiam Sanctae Mariae de Aguliana to the canonry of Girona. It is a church with a single nave, a belfry and a portal with six archivolts supported by four columns with two capitals and apses decorated with plant motifs. See if you can find a stone protected by glass near the door. It is a piece that has been reused and which was once a game board.
Photograph of the Rubaudonadeu Collection in Figueres, dated 1888 and the work of the photographer, Josep Maria Cañellas. It bears the title of the Byzantine door and window and shows us one of the side entrances to the Santa Maria d’Agullana Church. Today, the arches of the door supported by four columns are perfectly preserved, as well as the elements of the door’s metal fittings which were already present at that time. The Rubaudonadeu Collection is preserved in the Fages de Climent Library in Figueres.