The Counts’ Palace, otherwise known as the Sant Domènec Convent was founded in 1317 with the support of the Town Council and the Counts. The Counts’ Palace was located outside the walls, similar to the others in Castelló at that time. The reconstruction of the convent in the 17th and 18th centuries incorporated a tower from the wall and other parts of the medieval building, such as the Gothic hall. The current building has an extensive trapezoidal-shaped surface, with a central cloister surrounded by four sections and a church attached to the north side. Dating back to the 17th and 18th centuries, the church, in a baroque style and transitioning towards the neoclassical, has a rectangular floor plan and is divided into three naves separated by solid pillars, each with three chapels covered with groin vaults. The building was confiscated and was used for various purposes (hospital, school, court and barracks) and, since 1987, it has housed the City Council and other services.
Ajuntament De Castelló d'Empúries, Pl. Joc de la Pilota,1, Castellón de Ampurias, Provincia de Gerona 17486, España