The castle-palace of Sant Mori, also known as the Rocabertí Castle, was built in the 15th century on the ruins of a former building. In the 16th century, its first and most important remodelling works took place, which gave it the Gothic-Renaissance character and appearance that we can admire today. The castle has been a witness and protagonist of various historical transformations. The most significant was when Queen Juana Enríquez and her son Ferran, who were guests of her Vassal, Pere de Rocabertí, first Baron of Sant Mori, stayed within its walls. From the 15th century down to the present day, the castle has been owned by the same family.
Picture by the photographer Valentí Fargnoli in which you can see part of the Sant Mori Castle. Two mullioned windows stand out, one of which has been walled in. The photo also highlights the roof’s upper cornice. The sobriety of the walls and their sense of strength mark part of the aesthetic feel of the building. Of course, given that it is a castle-palace it has its own defensive elements. The bell tower of the parish church is at the back. An image from 1901 which gives us an idea of the state of this important Empordà vestige, which has recently undergone major reforms carried out by its owners. The photograph belongs to the INSPAI Valentí Fargnoli Collection.
Carrer De La Marquesa De Sant Mori 15, 17467 San Mori, Provincia de Gerona, España