The Abbot’s Tower was probably built at the beginning of the 11th century as the residence for the abbots of the Sant Pere de Rodes Monastery, and as an element of control over the territory. By 1080, there is evidence that the Abbot of Sant Pere de Rodes stayed in the palace. From the beginning of feudalism, the Abbot of Sant Pere de Rodes enjoyed a castle-palace in Llançà located where the church of the 18th century was later built, and so, the castle was demolished and just the rectangular tower of the 13th and 14th centuries was preserved. In the 16th century, Llança’s defensive constructions consisted of six towers; one of which was integrated in the abbey's castle known as the original wing of the Homage Tower. The remains of the abbey’s residence belong to the building built in the baroque period, now known as Casa Morales or Claret.
Carrer Església 18, 17490 Llansá, Provincia de Gerona, España
Leave a Reply ·